Sunday, November 21, 2010

Grand Bruit, Newfoundland, I'll miss you!


I had only been to Grand Bruit once in my life and now it is gone forever.

Yes, this little community on Newfoundland's South coast is now resettled and exists no more. What I feel bad about is that of all the communities I have visited in Newfoundland, I thought this little place was the best. It had character, beauty, history, peace, solitude, and a small population. But what made it picture perfect was how it looked from from Cindy Billard's house and cabins on the hill. You could see everything and walk from one end to the other in about 12 minutes. See the painting above next to the arial shot? No roads, no cars....yet the paths were paved. It had won the Tidy Town Award as each property was kept wonderful and clean. The old merchant's house just across a small causeway was old, slanted
and immense. There's definitely history and the Newfoundland way of life there for sure!

I hope somehow I can return to this community. If anyone knows how, please let me know as there is no ferry service there now.

Grand Bruit...a place of no roads, no pollution,... and now - no people. Sad indeed.

2 comments:

  1. I was a teacher there for 2 yrs back in 2004/2005 and loved every minute of it!!! Everything you said is true. It is indeed beautiful, peaceful, and the people are warm and generous. I felt at home there right away. I actually lived in Cindy's cabin while there and you're right again when you say the view is beautiful. I spent many and evening after supper having a cup of tea or glass of wine watching the ferry come in. It is quite sad that it no longer exists. I still think of it often. As for returning, you could get the ferry to LaPoile and perhaps pay someone to take you there in their speedboat as it only takes about 1/2 hour. Hope it works out for you!! I've actually considered returning myself. I'm sure many of the former residents will return for much of the summer so you won't be alone.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Please drop me a line to further this thought!!~Mike at mike_madigan@yahoo.com

      Delete