Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Newfoundland song you've probably never heard

I have been touched by a song I have at my Downhome Kitchen site that is probably a song from Newfoundland that you have never heard. It's a song about a man who purposely sinks his fishing boat off some point and he explains why he does this.
I see this song, called Sir, Beyond that Point, being especially effective in an Arts and Culture stage setting. Here's what I mean. There's a darkened stage and on it is a wharf. A fisherman walks out and suddenly a small spotlight comes on him as he approaches the edge of the wharf. He looks sad as he seemingly eyes the horizon. Then he says:
Sir, beyond that point that's the open sea,
And, mister, that's where I want to be;
Where my father went, and his father before,
And where it appears I'll go no more.

I really appreciate the lyrics and musical score in this piece by Sheldom McBreairity. I love the way the music builds. I'm sure you will too. Just email me at mike_madigan@yahoo.com and I can send you the song.

4 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 30, 2010

    I believe comments can be made now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 31, 2010

    Ok I am all about giving it another try. Are you on this side of the border or back on Canadian sod these days? In any case glad to see you are keeping yourself busy. I might give this blogging stuff a try myself , but only after I am retired for now it is just enuf to keep up with reading the blogs of those I love.But, you keep up the good work.☼
    GG

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 31, 2010

    Hey, it worked.
    Good job, Mike ☼

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately that Downhome Kitchen site no longer exists.

    ReplyDelete