Thursday, June 10, 2010

They Call me A Wry Man by Ged Blackmore

If you know of my friend Ged Blackmore or even the Folk of the Sea, you will know we are dealing with an extraordinary human being. Ged was a highschool principal in a couple of schools that I taught in, and I know well his leadership, passion and kindness towards others. His musical accomplishments with fisherfolk during the cod moratorium will always be remembered as he took that hardy crowd not only across Newfoundland but Canada itself.
His song They Call Me a Wry Man has always touched me with its lyrics and moving musical score. I was delighted to see many of Ged's own musical masterpieces compiled on a cd charismatically titled "All We have is Now". I was even more pleased that our wonderful native Newfoundland actor, Gordon Pinsent, was asked to narrate and sing this song They Call me a Wry Man.
I can say so much more.... but I will leave you with some lyrics and the tune itself
if you email me at mike_madigan@yahoo.com

They call me a wry man that kicks 'gainst the goad
But I'm just a wise man that's tired of his load
I sowed in the ocean, took fish from the sea
Bringing gentlemen riches and me - poverty!!







1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately that Downhome Kitchen site is no longer available. Contact me for what to do.

    ReplyDelete